David Bickley's Wargames Blog

The occasional ramblings of an average gamer, journeyman painter, indifferent modeller, games designer, sometime writer for Wargames Illustrated and host of games in GHQ.



Friday 31 August 2012

An Unusal Month...

Very unusual in fact, in that I did n't buy a single figure during the whole month! I think it must be some sort of record to be honest. I did buy something: a Bordello and the Gallows set, both from Battleflag, for my new Old West town. {If you've not seen them, they are featured in earlier posts this month} I suppose it is an acquisition really, but I also received three more Battleflag buildings as a gift from a kind friend ~ thanks Dan! ~ in return for something I completed for him a while back.
As I result I've been building the newish Undertaker's Building, as it seemed logical after building the Gallows! I've got the basic kit built and the interior and the frontage painted, just have to do the windows and doors and do some base work. Oh, and the bl**dy shingles on the roof too! Its a great kit and a splendid acquisition for New Paddock City. { I've also got the new Frontline resin on order to use inside the building!} In the building queue for post-op time I've got the Photographer's, which I think will be the town's Courthouse, and the large hotel ~ I'm really looking forward to trying that one! I've been thinking of ordering one of the Hot Matz{?} felt base mats for the western games and wondered if anyone had one? Are they recommended is what I'd like to know really?
I have managed some painting amongst all the distractions of health {Sue's} and Hospital appointments {mine}: 68 figures and 21 resin furniture items! The figures were for existing projects: the last Hill Tribesmen from Foundry for the Mutiny; a set of limber and caisson teams for the Union in my ACW games ~ 1st Corps horses, Dixon crew and Foundry limbers; and lastly, a new ECW Foote unit, Gell's Foote, using Perry miniatures. I've also started a second ECW unit, Rupert's Bluecoats, but have only got the basic colours on the command stand figures as I type this.
Games wise, I've managed five in August, a respectable total I think given all that's going on around me: two F&IW games, using Sharp Practice; an ECW game using my own ECW rules in development, A Crowning Mercy; and finally, two Indian Mutiny games, using my own The Devil's Wind. How did I get on? I was afraid you might ask that! I drew two and lost three! I think that's three months without a win of any kind! Must be close to a personal record :~/ Oh well... Soon be September! And Partizan!!!!

I thought I was doing so well at that point in the Mutiny game too: then things all went south! Still great fun though, and that's all that matters to me now!

6 comments:

  1. Impressive amount of painting and work done on the gaming front .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Still a below average month here in GHQ though.

      Delete
  2. Look on the bright side you did get the better of the draw yesterday. Must say Dave's rules are great for the mutiny, not has I'm biased of course. Great output all things considered Mr. B.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for that, Phil! Must press on with the ECW rules now!

      Delete
  3. Lovely work David on covering all your genres. I look forward in hearing from you and Phil when you start to work on the Greta War theme.

    Cheers,

    Helen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Helen!I have finished my BEF, but Phil is still working on his Germans. Our aim was to be ready for August 2014, including our own rules.

      Delete