David Bickley's Wargames Blog

The occasional ramblings of an average gamer, journeyman painter, indifferent modeller, games designer, sometime writer for Wargames Illustrated and host of games in GHQ.



Wednesday 15 October 2014

I must be mad!

At least that's what I keep telling myself since last Friday. Those who know me well would wonder why its only recently that I have publicly doubted my sanity, but I can explain. Firstly, I'm no barmier than any other wargamer I've met, and a good deal saner than many I have to say. Secondly, well on Friday last week I was wandering through what's left of Wolverhampton's Indoor Market, which used to have a good number of stalls selling collectibles, cars and the like. I've got a good few Pulp, WWII and Back of Beyond things from there over the years. Sadly, the market has 'died on its feet' and there are not many collectible stalls there any more. But, browsing as I went, I saw this for a snip I thought at £2.50 ~















Its some sort of novelty disc carrier case I think, but it just cries out to be modified into something to grace our Pulp and Back of Beyond games: His Majesty's Airship Formidable I think. The figure in the foreground is a Musketeer Miniatures 28mm Militia figure from the Interwar range for scale. Another view of the beast ~


















The upper structure will make a good gun deck I think. I have some Pulp Figures Royal Navy chaps to make up a crew and I know that they do deck guns and ship fittings which will add to the look of the beast. Anyway, I thought it would make a good winter project for when my eyes are n't up to painting! Keep an eye out for updates over the coming months!

12 comments:

  1. Nice spot! Looking forward to following your progress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope to get started later in the month Matt.

      Delete
  2. That looks like it will work very nicely. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Edwin. It should be a nice project over the winter.

      Delete
  3. What a great find! This project looks like fun.

    Jim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fun is the object of our hobby as I'm sure you agree, Jim.

      Delete
  4. Have you finished those piggies yet ......;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! And their trough! They will grace the game tomorrow I hope!

      Delete
  5. Bargain! What a great find! I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. If you need gluing to it let me know ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, it would n't be half as much fun without you and your glue would it now?

      Delete