David Bickley's Wargames Blog

The occasional ramblings of an average gamer, journeyman painter, indifferent modeller, games designer, sometime writer for Wargames Illustrated and host of games in GHQ.



Saturday 25 November 2017

The Ladies of the WI.

A couple of weeks back now Phil made an order to Footsore Miniatures for some reinforcements for the Dark Ages game he has in development and was kind enough to add my small order to it. I acquired the two packs of WI figures and the female sniper team from the Interwar range for my VBCW collection. After labouring over the caisson set featured in the previous post I thought the ladies of the Tettenhall WI would be a different challenge and here they all are, under their own banner crafted by Pete Barfield of course ~



I named the leader Nora, a close examination of her stockings might reveal why, so I suppose the colour bearer must be Ivy ~
A little local colour in the form of a Beatties shopping bag and a ‘WI’ identification marking on a steel helmet, Eadie and Glenda ~
That just leaves us with Pearl and Marina. I hope you’ve managed to work the origin of the names out now ~
That leaves just the two women of the sniper team ~
I hope this little local flavour to my VBCW game meets with your approval. Now it’s on to the AWI and a five piece British command vignette I’ve made from surplus Wargames Foundry figures.




16 comments:

  1. Nice work on the " Colander Girls " old bean.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I’d thought of that for the title!

      Delete
  2. Very fine work on the ladies David!

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoyed painting them, perhaps it shows in the end result?

      Delete
  3. Wonderful ladies...and this flag is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Phil! Have to agree on the flags!

      Delete
  4. Lovely work. I have some waiting to be painted ( along with some Boy Scouts and Tintin chaps)and I really must get round to them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent stuff .....next big show I might be hunting these ladies down. They are much nicer sculpts than the iron clad one I have but then, and I don’t want to be criticised too much, the ladies in west Cumbria do have a slightly different appearance to the gentry of the midlands ! Flag is awesome !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Matt, and for the insight into Cumbrian women!

      Delete
  6. Lovely looking ladies and a fabulous flag!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks again Iain, I take no credit for the flag though.

      Delete